At the Genealogical Society of Victoria we hold classes on some of the subscription and other searchable databases but this is the first time we've created a seminar to focus on the things that will help you find those elusive ancestors.
There are still some vacancies for our seminar, Saturday 25 May 2013
Here is your chance to understand that every database is different and that to find someone you need to approach it differently. Human nature demands that we see a box, enter a surname, and hit search without thinking about:
- Database scope
- Search options
- Mandatory fields
- Date ranges
- and a heap of other issues impacting your search.
Databases and searchable options being covered in this UK version of the seminar include:
- GSV library catalogue
- GENUKI - UK & Ireland Genealogy
- LDS / Family search
- CoraWeb & Cyndi's list
- The National Archives [TNA - UK]
- Findmypast UK & Ireland [FMP]
- National Archives of Scotland and Scottish Archive Network [NAS and SCAN]
- Origins Network [British, Irish, Scots and National Wills Index] and Burke's Online
- The British Newspaper Archive [BNA]
- National Library of Australia - eResources and Irish newspapers [NLA]
- National Archives of Ireland [NAI]
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland [PRONI]
And for an added bonus - one lucky attendee will win a one year world subscription donated by ancestry.com.au .
Don't miss out - book today through our Online Shop.